11/7/08

Fruitcake

Can anyone trace the history of the family fruitcake? Where did it start and why?

2 comments:

SpitBall said...

The Fruitcake came from the Jewel Osco on Sycamore Road in Dekalb, IL.

A friend, Mark Colby, gave it to Mary Ellen and I as a last minute Christmas gift. Late 1980's, likely '86 or '87. We were in the car leaving for Michigan when he showed up, so we tucked it in the back seat and took off. No one, not even Charlie Okar, ate it.

Eventually, it became a fixture of the convection oven. It never seemed to age. Never dried. It did not shrink, or crumble. It looked as delicious in Year 3 as it did when Mark handed it to me in the driveway at 135 Harrison Street.

Once the Grab Bag got going, the die was cast. The Fruitcake bounced back and forth, exchanging even at non-Christmas events, until it dissolved into myth and fog.

That's a lie. It did not dissolve, but this is Lore.

I'm not certain which of you had the privilege of holding the Fruitcake, but I'm certain that you will tell us all your stories.

middleman said...

I do not care about the fuitcake anymore. Only the memories tied to it. Since the first post I have been to that jewel-osco. I had the cake. it always seemed like the person trying the hardest not to get it always took it home.