After some discussion at the 2008 Okar Family reunion, we thought that we might take up Bart's (middleman's) suggestion to visit the Chicago area. Because it is unlikely that we could all fit into Bart's place, Katie did some on-line searching and found this place:
link
In Michiana, near the shore of Lake Michigan. It looked good to those at MA and Jerry's breakfast table. Visit the link and see what you all think.
Or, perhaps some else wants to host? Maybe you have another idea, let us know. Thing is, we have a time deadline, of sorts, because this place will likely go rather fast, and we need to make reservations quickly.
As far as I know, we are aiming for the same time of year: Early October.
Thanks, Katie, for your efforts. I'll send you an email to help you sign up as an author.
10/21/08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
The place looks very beautiful, but from what I could see will only sleeps 14. I am not sure if there are more than the two cabins around, but 14 would seem to only house about half of the people. If we are going to that far outside of Chicago than I will suggest Pokagon State Park in Indiana. Here are a few links that will describe the park:
1. A wiki article that gives a nice overview of the park
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokagon_State_Park
2. Indiana DNR site of the park
http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/6699.htm
The park has campgounds, cabin rentals and a hotel. It has a couple of beaches, boat rental, horseback riding, walking paths, clear skies for star gazing and many others.
Let me know what you think about this place.
By the maps I'm looking at Pokagon is much further from Chi-town. You have a point about sleeping arrangements, but I think we can tent on the grounds and/or use air mattresses and such in the cabins to expand space. Maybe we should do some more searching for something with more space, that can still offer the kind of privacy that the resort offers.
Not sure we can do our own cooking at the state park.
Its a personal thing, but State parks are not friendly to pets, and it would be very cool to bring our dog.
I agree with the summer reunion. It will be much easier for me and Matt.
I only suggested Pokagon because it said the Michiana cabins were an hour away from Chicago. I did not think that we would all be driving an hour in good traffic to visit Chicago and then have to drive back to the cabins. So, I thought if we were not going to go to Chicago then we could look at other locations.
The park does allow pets, but it needs to be supervised.
Summer is not generally a good time for us, its "meeting season". The last reunion was scheduled in October because the summer dates were considered too close to other holidays, and that seemed to be a problem for others. That was the issue when we hosted the first reunion in MPLS: too many other commitments in the summertime.
Maybe we should settle on a date, before we get to the issue of where?
Point being, that if we set a date, fairly early on, then folks can plan around that date.
Maybe, the administrator should set up a poll on the issue? Say, July, August, September, or October?
I don't recall suggesting daily road trips to Chicago. The idea of Chicago came up because Bart had offered to host, but I don't think we'll be trekking to the city. I don't think the location is carved in stone.
ppppppppppppppppppp
Pokagon State Park is where Busia and Poppa went on their honeymoon.
SO after a discussion with my mom I am surprised her and Aunt Liz havent mentioned there thoughts on this and what they think we should do. So I will speak for them as I am in agreement, PLease speak up MOm and Aunt Liz if I am not saying something correct. THe thought is my mom and dad's house is the perfect location...one main reason...IT IS FREE! With the economy and job insecurity for some it my not be finacially possible to do a rental thing. Great idea yes but still no possible. I realize there is travel involved for some and further for some others but still free once you arrive. Loding is free entertainment is free. If we do the rental thing EVERYONE has to travel which costs and then the rental obviously. The idea my mom and aunt Liz had was for at least one my year have it up hear then we could discuss it all together make a pro/con list if you will and make a decision then. Again just an idea so please voice your opinion on this as I know you will!
Post a Comment