10/19/08

Emergency Chocolate Rations

For those times when chocolate is the only comfort food you can imagine eating. I'm not a choco-phile myself, but I've been surrounded by them for many years.

Ingredients:

Chocolate chips: I like dark, bitter chocolate. Use what you like, or have on hand. I've tried white chocolate in this recipe, and it was not very good. You can also use chocolate powder.

Peanut butter: Crunchy PB, to be exact.

Fruit/nuts: (Optional) Mix in any kind of nut, whole or chopped. Dried fruit, like raisins, apricots, dates, whatever you can scrounge out of your cabinet. Fresh fruit can work, too. Be creative.

Set out 6 to 8 cup-cake sized baking cups.

Put 1 tablespoon PB in each

Put chocolate chips on top of PB, approximately equal volume of PB.

Heat in a warmed oven, or toaster oven until chips and PB are melted. I guess you could do this in a microwave, too.

Mix the melted chocolate and PB well. This is not as easy as it seems. Sometimes I mix, then reheat, and mix again.

Add any optional ingredients.

Put in freezer, or refrigerator until solid.

No comments: